Forget what you think you know about the Israel-Palestine conflict.
“carefully documented and highly informative”Noam Chomsky
“breaks new ground in ways that fundamentally alter our understanding of the conflict and how to resolve it”Richard Falk, from the Foreword
“essential reading on Israel-Palestine”Philip Giraldi
Read the First Chapter Now for Free!
Sign up now to receive a free excerpt including:
- The Table of Contents
- Richard Falk’s Foreword
- Gene Epstein’s Introduction
- Jeremy R. Hammond’s Preface
- The entire first chapter, “The Rise of Hamas in Gaza”
Plus, get a free primer e-course giving you the most essential need-to-know information about the Israel-Palestine conflict and the opportunity to have your questions answered by the author!
“I find that the emails are worth the cost of the book” — S. Rand
What’s Inside the Book
Why has peace in the Middle East remained so elusive?
Obstacle to Peace not only provides the answer, but also explains why you won’t hear it from U.S. government officials or the mainstream media.
With incisive and provocative analysis, Jeremy R. Hammond provides a meticulously documented account that explodes popular myths and deconstructs standard narratives about the Israel-Palestine conflict.
For anyone seeking a better understanding of the conflict’s root causes, the true reasons for its persistence, and the way forward, Obstacle to Peace delivers the knowledge and insights to effect the paradigm shift required to achieve justice and peace in the Middle East.
What You’ll Learn in Obstacle to Peace
Here are just a few of the things you’ll learn the truth about in this book:
- How US and Israeli policies have strengthened Hamas
- Why Israel implemented an illegal policy of collectively punishing the civilian population of Gaza, and how it’s been able to do so with impunity
- What really happened during Operation Cast Lead and Operation Pillar of Defense, two of Israel’s large-scale military assaults on the defenseless Gaza Strip
- What the so-called “peace process” is and why the US pursues it so aggressively
- Why Israel attacked the Mavi Marmara in international waters, and why the US defended the killing of nine peace activists on board
- How Israel has maintained its occupation of Palestine and what must happen to bring it to an end
- What must occur for Palestinian refugees to have a realistic hope of exercising their right to return to their homeland
- How and why the US mainstream media manipulate information so as to manufacture consent for US foreign policy
- How to decipher the euphemistic language used by the government and media to deceive the public
- How the United Nations helped create the conflict and how Secretary General Ban Ki-moon has played a duplicitous role
- What the Goldstone Report was, what its findings were, and why it so upset the US and Israel
- How, despite congenial rhetoric to the contrary, the Obama administration has continued the longstanding US policy of rejecting the rights of the Palestinian people
- And much more!
Who Should Read Obstacle to Peace?
Obstacle to Peace was written for anyone interested in seeing a just and peaceful resolution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, even if possessing little prior knowledge of the subject. Readers who will benefit from reading this book include:
- Any layperson who would like to understand what the conflict is about, why it persists, and how it can be resolved
Praise for Obstacle to Peace
“Jeremy Hammond’s carefully documented and highly informative study of how Washington has joined Israel in undermining the efforts to achieve a peaceful political settlement of the Israel-Palestine conflict is a welcome and timely contribution, and one that focuses directly on a salient issue, all too often evaded. Unless and until US policy shifts from the obstructionism that he details convincingly, this grim and destructive confrontation is likely to take a terrible toll on the Palestinian victims, with harmful consequences for the Israeli occupiers as well, probably reaching well beyond.”Noam Chomsky
“Given the intense focus and the passions aroused by the conflict it is rare to find a book or article that says something new but Jeremy Hammond’s Obstacle to Peace: The U.S. Role in the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict does just that, deconstructing the prevailing narrative on the Middle East while also explaining in meticulous and fully documented detail why and how a succession of United States administrations has actually become the greatest impediment to a just settlement that would benefit both Palestinians and Israelis….To my mind his book is essential reading on Israel-Palestine….”Philip Giraldi
“In our days of darkness, spreading ignorance, and absence of serious debate in public forums, we can take hope from the fact that some scholars still produce serious and informative books on the most critical issues of our time. If in the future policymakers again seek the guidance of truth, they will have the information at hand. One such book of truth is Jeremy R. Hammond’s just published Obstacle to Peace, a closely reasoned, heavily documented (68 pages of footnotes), fully indexed, readable book….”Paul Craig Roberts
“Successive American administrations from both parties have doomed Palestinians to a series of Bantustans in the West Bank and what amounts to an open air prison in the Gaza Strip. In turn, Washington has emboldened right-wing forces in Israel, plunging the country into a zero-sum game with no clear resolution in sight. Over the course of a book that is as meticulously detailed as it is readable, Jeremy Hammond explains how the US approach he correctly identifies as rejectionist is closing the door on peace in the Holy Land. We must learn the historical lessons Hammond outlines in Obstacle to Peace before that door is nailed shut for good.”Max Blumenthal
“Jeremy Hammond is a fearless independent journalist who does not allow hypocrisy and maneuvers to escape his critical eye. His book Obstacle to Peace: The US Role in the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict is a sharp analysis of America’s Middle East policy which shields Israel’s crimes against Palestinians. This book should be read by anyone interested in knowing about the agony of Palestinians.”Deepak Tripathi
“I read Obstacle to Peace with great interest. Hammond is a knowledgeable and insightful writer. His analysis is sharp and original, refusing to allow mythology to supersede reality. We often discuss Israel-Palestine with too little attention to the central role of US policy. This book illustrates why such an omission is a terrible mistake.”Steven Salaita
“Outstanding. This highly informative and meticulously researched book is a valuable resource for every scholar and activist. The flair with which the book has been written makes it accessible to those who are not as familiar with the Israel-Palestinian issue but who are eager to perfect their knowledge. Hammond’s illuminating and invaluable book deserves a wide audience.”Soraya Sepahpour-Ulrich
“In Obstacle to Peace, Mr. Hammond provides a meticulously documented and compelling narrative of the long running Israel-Palestine conflict and the role that the United States has played in thwarting potential solutions. This work not only tells the story but also provides a valuable research vehicle for policy makers and commentators alike. It is a must for every bookshelf on this topic.”Don Liebich
“When I first came to Palestine in 2003, I was naïve in many ways and had to start from the beginning. My previous work in South Africa helped to open up my eyes and see the deepening of apartheid in the Middle East, but what was missing was a book like Obstacle to Peace. The book is a bridge to a real peace process, unlike the vacuous diplomacy that continues while the colonization and theft does not stop and the apartheid is manifested. Obstacle to Peace helps those of us concerned with peace and justice to be firmly rooted when we speak out.”Mats Svensson